Director, Center for Arts in Medicine
College of the Arts, University of Florida
The Center for Arts in Medicine (CAM) in the UF College of the Arts is expanding its leadership team and organizational infrastructure. The Center seeks a dynamic director to lead our close-knit and rapidly expanding academic community made up of artists and scholars working in and researching the intersections of arts and health. The new director will work in tandem with Dr. Jill Sonke, who will oversee the center’s research activities and advance its research agenda in national and international spheres.
We seek a strategic thinker who will help propel us to new levels of excellence as part of a comprehensive land , sea , and space-grant research university (ranked #5 among U.S. public universities). We seek a leader who will guide CAM as it becomes a tenure and doctoral degree granting unit within the College. We seek a leader with a deep understanding of artistic practice, expertise in the field of social practice, and experience in community-engaged research and practice. We seek a leader with the vision and capacity to build, implement, and maintain strong academic structures and to lead collaborative academic work within a discipline-rich campus environment.
Responsibilities of the Director
• Manage the administrative, budget/fiscal, facilities, academic operations, and degree programs of the center in ways that are in alignment with the strategic plan of the Center for Arts in Medicine, the College of the Arts, and University of Florida
• Lead the ongoing examination of the center’s artistic, scholarly, and academic programs
• Provide leadership in the center’s academic activities, strategic initiatives, and external engagement
• Help develop and maintain an academic, curricular, and pedagogical structure that will continue to shape and articulate the Center for Arts in Medicine’s place at the forefront of the academic disciplines it encompasses
• Collaborate with the CAM Research Director to achieve and sustain a thriving research portfolio for the Center
• Collaborate with CAM leadership in the achievement of strategic plan goals
• Advance the collaboration with UF Health Arts in Medicine to facilitate academic engagement in clinical and community practices
• Articulate the center’s vision, goals, and accomplishments to its constituencies and promote visibility
• Lead efforts to secure external funding from the private and public spheres
• Recruit and retain dynamic, impactful students, faculty, and staff
• Develop, foster, and maintain an inclusive, diverse, and collegial environment that optimizes the strengths of its students, faculty, and staff
The University of Florida College of the Arts intends to be a transformative community, responding to and generating paradigmatic shifts in the arts and beyond. As artists and scholars, we embrace the complexity of our evolving human experience and seek to empower our students and faculty to shape that experience fearlessly through critical study, creative practice, and provocation. We seek a colleague who identifies as a change-maker. We seek a colleague who will prepare students to access and unsettle centers of power in a radically changing world. We seek a colleague who will position emerging artists and researchers as catalysts for equity on local and global levels.
Click this link to learn more and apply. Applications submitted by January 30, 2022 will receive full consideration.
This is a full-time, 12 month faculty position. Rank and tenure status are contingent upon the selected candidate’s qualifications. Tenure home is dependent upon candidate’s discipline with tenure upon hire, if appropriate. Date of expected hire is July 1, 2022. The expected salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience, including a comprehensive and highly competitive leave and benefits package.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty, seeking faculty of all races, ethnicities, genders, backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.