We invite you to join us for Arts in Health California’s Second Annual Conference at UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay on Saturday, March 18th, 2017 from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
We are very excited about this conference and are inviting a variety of presenters, including writers, artists, musicians, dancers and singers, physicians, medical students and patients.
You will learn about our new UCSF at Mission Bay Hospital both as a healing environment and an art destination, the award-winning UCSF Art for Recovery Program, and the conference will include presentations by:
- Tucker Nichols, a professional artist who will share his own health story and his Mission Bay art commission
- Patients sharing their personal stories about coping with illness through the creation of art
- Art-atomy – UCSF Medical Students participating in the UCSF Art for Recovery elective
- Art of the Athlete, U. of Oregon – a 4-week intensive summer course with sports players building upon self-reflection and learning strategies through visual arts
- David Watts, M.D., physician and published writer, poet, jazz musician, NPR commentator who writes essays and lectures on the subject of humanism in medicine
- Ned Buskirk, You’re Going to Die: Poetry, Prose & Everything Goes – bringing people creatively into the conversation of death and dying while helping to inspire and empower them
- Vania Deonizio, Dancin’ Power – teaches interactive dance classes for free to hospitalized children
- Afro-Cuban San Francisco State University Ensemble
- Art of Health and Healing of Contra Costa Health Services bringing a wide range of arts program, including Stress Relief Through the Arts
- Musicians in Healthcare
- Arts in Health California & National Organization for Arts in Health (NOAH)
We will be offering 15 to 30 minute presentations throughout the conference with an opportunity to have lunch and network while participating in art experiences. We hope that you will take home inspiring ideas to spin off into action in your community.