*originally posted in June 2020
Dear NOAH community,
Our hearts are heavy. The recent brutal deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and Tony McDade, along with countless similar others over the years, are painful reminders of the systemic racism and inequities in our country. At NOAH, we stand firmly against racism and any practice that hurts or excludes our fellow human beings.
We have initiated and pledge to keep moving forward in the following ways:
- Educating the NOAH Board of Directors to learn how we perpetuate this system within NOAH.
- Stating metrics in the NOAH Strategic Plan to grow diverse representation on the Board of Directors.
- Identifying best practices through our NOAH Arts for Resilience in Clinicians addressing burnout, particularly in this COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic negatively affects Black communities and low income citizens disproportionately.
- Working with our members to foster diversity, equity and inclusion within all aspects of arts in health.
- Shifted the focus of our member-driven COVID-19 Creative Response Forum Zoom Call, held biweekly, to include Racism. The Creative Response Forums for members will resume after our October 19 – 21 Conference – stay tuned for new dates. Members can access all the forum recordings in Member Resources.
- Today and always, all lives can’t matter until Black lives matter. We at NOAH hold space for individuals and communities of color in our lives, and promote respect and love for all.
NOAH Board of Directors and Staff